Cables for installation in buildings are covered by the new rules of CPR:
- Power cables
- Network cables
The new standards
The previous standard IEC 60332-3 and all subcategories are replaced by EN 50575, which contains 7 subdevisions:
The four classifications B2, C, D and E apply directly to electrical cables:
EN 50575 contains 4 fire classesfirectly applicable to cables.
- B2 & C are the cables with the greatest resistance in case of fire
- These cables provide the greatest protection
- The cables are fire-tested in a bundle - like IEC 60332-3 for 20 min.
- According to current rules the cables are fire tested in independent laboratories
- Continuous monitoring by independent body
- D & E classified cables provide a more basic level of security
- Only one single cable is tested for 30 seconds. - Not in a bundle!
- Only self-monitoring
- Preferably PVC cables
- No requirement to smoke (s), droplets (d) and acidity (a)